What's really going on with Shawn?

[And I still had time to make a jerk out of myself up on stage.  They never should have left that sword untended.  Hold on a sec...]

This last weekend, starting Thursday evening, I went to a marriage-oriented seminar-thing.  Because I love my wife so much I put on a good face, determined to learn something new and not be a butthead about it.  My wife usually has as much cooperation for this sort of thing as you might putting a sweater and a leash on a cat and taking it for a walk.

Besides, I have work to do!  I don't like being away from the fields for too long.

And off we went on Thursday night, just to stay up in Sandy at a mid-range hotel.  I sleep horribly on a hard hotel bed and I got about two hours of sleep the first night and woke up in considerable physical discomfort.  When I walked into the conference room and saw the title was "Royalty and Romance" I about shed tears of blood.  By the time Friday's eight hours of sitting in a hard chair listening to marriage stuff, visualization and what-not I was in a pretty foul mood, and just in time to get another horrible night's sleep.

Oh, I tried.  I really tried to keep a good face on.

Notwithstanding all that, I did take notes, and I have to admit that as I gleaned some insights (expecting only to hear a few new things) I had accumulated quite a list of new ideas.  Just one new concept after another.  I have to admit I was learning something new about reprogramming my own brain.  I didn't like what I was hearing, but it certainly was a new way of looking at things.

Friday night was even worse.  When I took a shower late at night I felt nauseous.  I put both hands on the wall and my whole body was wracked with convulsions.  I was trying to puke but nothing came out.  I believe now that I was "mind-puking".  All my wretched programming and bad stuff was trying to crawl out of my brainpan.

By Saturday morning I said "take me home I've had it" and that's when we had a break-through.  We started working on some of the workbooks.  I have to admit that my lunchtime I had quite a stack of notes.  Mind you, I have a solid marriage, we've always gotten along famously, and we only went to this thing to improve, and in fact I didn't think it could get much better.  That said, I must say I learned a ton.

Won't go into detail here, but I'm definitely on the other side of a new door in my life.  And I do highly recommend.  Family life is notably better now.  I'd go into specifics, but it's too personal for this format.

After this (and I was exhausted after two days of solid meetings and three hours of sleep per night), we went to my nephew's pre-mission endowment at the Oquirrh Mountain Temple.  It was really magical.  A ton of Tamie's family was there.  But I had to take a piss something fierce through the whole thing and I have to say that the bathroom there was pretty fantastic.  Then off to eat pie at a local eatery.  Then the long drive home around midnight.

Oh, another magic moment: as we were leaving the temple I came across my twelve-year old daughter in the foyer (for she had come up to meet us), and I snapped this pic; serene as an angel.  I am ever so proud of my family and I just can't get enough of them.  I shuttle between twin paradises of work and home.  I often marvel at the goodness of my own life.  I don't feel deserving of all this, but I am willing to accept God's good grace, his un-merited good will.  Or if you prefer, an outstanding life-long run of apparent good fortune.

So, Sunday I was completely exhausted and I basically just sat around waiting for Monday and to hit the ground running.

I can't believe tomorrow is Thursday.   The week has flown by.  I've got some sweet Batreps lined up.  Oh, and only six days until Valhalla!

Ogres vs Lizardmen
Operation Squad
And we're going to squeak in War Machine



blogger templates | Make Money Online